Friday 28 February 2014

Chain of Vengeance: Chapter Six - Part One


SAN FRANCISCO

 

 

“He’s on his way Molly, that’s all I’m going to tell you.”

She sighed, running a lick of hair back over her ear and turned so that her cell phone didn’t pick up the wind. She was on the seafront; the breeze was very vivid and clear. It was a beautiful day. “Come on David, please.”

David Eden paused. Molly pictured him there at her father’s house, wondering briefly if he still kept his crisp black uniform on now that his employer was dead.

“He has been found in London,” he said. “He made contact with Stephen Miles, the attorney we contracted. Miles informed him of the inheritance and the current situation with the estate. He also put him in touch with me here.”

Molly let her little finger play with her lip. “You’ve spoken to him?”

“Yes. Early this morning. He called from the airport in the UK.”

“And?”

“He seemed very nice; what do you want me to say? He seemed well spoken and friendly. Not the stereotype Englishman; just… nice.”

“Is he coming here?”

“Yes he is. He’ll be arriving after six tonight.”

She didn’t say anything in reply.

“Molly? Are you alright?”

“Yeah David. I’m okay.” Her voice felt so low and sluggish. “I’m sorry about the way I’ve been acting. It’s just... I don’t know David. I feel...”

“I know Molly.”

“Everyone thinks I’m selfish; and I am really. I am. But not in the way they think.”

“I know.”

Two women roller skated by with a dog between them on a leash.

“Are you going to meet him at the airport?” she asked.

“Yes. He’ll be very tired after his journey. It’s an eleven hour trip. I expect he’ll rest up this evening. Tomorrow is the house sale.”

“The what?”

“Your father specified in his will that he wanted to sell all his things; his collections, so that they could go to people who really wanted them. By coincidence that’s tomorrow.”

“What time?”

Eden’s voice became stern. “I don’t think you should come here Molly. You should do what I told you and forget all about it. There’s nothing positive that can come of your actions.”

“What time?” she asked again.

No comments:

Post a Comment