Thursday 23 January 2014

Chain of Vengeance: Chapter Four - Part Eleven


LONDON

 

 

“So you’re rich,” said Dominic.

Jack smiled a little, cupping his hot chocolate in both palms, looking down at the rising steam. “Yeah. I’m rich.”

They were seated in the bay window of their favourite café, not far at all from the solicitor’s. Dominic had a mug of coffee and a slice of cake. Jack wasn’t hungry though he hadn’t had a bite since his ice cream with Lucy by the bridge the previous day. It was starting to turn into dusk outside, the view through the window dimming as clear glass became reflection.

“So I suppose the question, young man, is: what are you going to do now?”

Jack continued to gaze into his mug then slowly looked up at Dominic and thought, I’m going to tell you everything that’s happened; that’s what I’m going to do. Then you’re going to hate me forever.

He paused, then said, “I don’t know what.”

“Well you have the cash for it.” Dominic laughed. “More than enough to do anything! You could travel half way round the world staying in the best hotels, just on the interim payment they’ve arranged for you!”

He was right. There was more than enough to do anything and more still waiting in America. The bulk of it was invested obviously but there was still a vast amount of loose cash that he now had access to. It was as tempting as hell to go out right now and start blowing it. But not before he had spoken to Dominic; revealed to him what had happened.

Dominic smiled, his ageing face almost a closed circle of creases. There was no doubting one fact: he would never understand. He wouldn’t be able to entertain Jack’s wild notions of destiny for a second. If Jack told him the truth then Dominic would hate him forever.

And that meant something else. Whether he told him or not, the closeness of their friendship was over. Jack’s life, as it had been, was finished. This secret, the deed he had done, this strange spiritual destiny:– the “quest” he was going to have to undertake now… These were what made up his future. The sharing of ideas that he had loved with Dominic could never happen again.

The old man didn’t even realise it, sitting there, sipping his coffee. Jack himself hadn’t realised it until now but their friendship had died twenty four hours earlier in a little hotel room in Bristol. There was no point revealing what had happened and crushing what little pleasant time they had left together. It was better to enjoy these last few moments then let their friendship gently wither.

“Are you all right Jack?” asked Dominic. “You’ve gone quiet again. You’re not going to fall asleep on me are you? I know I was dull company but that would be plain rude.”

Jack’s eyes misted but he blinked it away. “Don’t worry Uncle Dominic. I’m not going to fall asleep on you. At least not until after you’ve paid the bill.”

Dominic chuckled. “I don’t expect ever to have to pay again with you around.”

Jack smiled but had to turn away. He swiped at the side of his eye and willed himself to be calm. “You’ve been good to me over the years Dominic. Especially after mum and dad died. That’s meant a lot to me.”

Dominic tutted and waved the sentiment away. “You don’t need to get all emotional on me. I’m not going anywhere.”

No, thought Jack, but I am, and you may never see me again after today. In a minute I’m going to walk out that door and that will be the end of it.

“I just want you to know that I’ll never forget how good you’ve been to me,” he said.

Dominic patted his hand. “Well, thank you. It has been a pleasure.” He gave Jack’s hand one more pat then straightened up. “On more important matters… have you decided what you’re going to do next?” asked Dominic. “With all that money?” His eyes twinkled.

“Have you ever thought about what your purpose is, here on Earth?” asked Jack.

“My purpose?”
“You know, why you’re here: what God wants you to do.”

“It’s crossed my mind. More in my youth than lately. You get to my age you’d better hope you’ve completed your purpose by now because you’re running out of time.” He chuckled.

“I’ve been… giving it some thought lately,” said Jack.

“Because of the money?”

“Among other things. I’ve got a theory.”

“Are you planning to share it?”

Jack nodded. “If you believe in God, it’s fair to think you believe that if he has a mission for you then he will be manipulating events to help you achieve that goal, right?”

“Yes…”

“For a while I tried to wrack my brain, trying to work out what my mission was.”

“You’re sure you have one?”

If only you knew. “But I realised I was going about it wrong. Because if God is really guiding us, we don’t need to worry what the mission is. It will just happen; because He has taken into account our personality and drives.”

“You’re saying—“

 “I’m saying that if I just do whatever I feel like doing then I will find my purpose. Whenever I reach a junction I just have to do what feels right and that will be the right choice; the choice that fulfils the mission.”

“So what do you feel like doing Jack? With all that cash?”

Jack set his cup aside. “I’m going to follow where the money leads,” he said. “I’m going to San Francisco.”

No comments:

Post a Comment