Wednesday 29 January 2014

Chain of Vengeance: Chapter Four - Part Fourteen


LONDON

 

 

 

Sam knew he was being watched through the peephole but they still didn’t open the door.

Half audible, a man’s voice in the background said, “Who is it?” A woman gave a mumbled reply.

Sam subtly shifted his expression, smoothing out the contours to appear more vulnerable. He slipped his tongue forward so that it would be just visible, held between his lips. He let his shoulders droop; each change separate and slow.

Mike was the man he worked most closely with at the insurance company; his partner. He was the oldest acquaintance Sam had, and he might know the current status of what was going on at work; with the men waiting outside Sam’s house.

The chain disengaged and the Yale lock turned. The door opened a crack, stopped, then opened fully. Mike’s wife Elaine was standing there, still nervously gripping the door: navy blue pleated skirt and crumpled blouse, her blond hair swept back under a hair band. She tilted the sides of her mouth up but her eyes remained dim and mournful.

They knew about what had happened at the insurance company. Sam tilted his strategy in his mind, renovating his approach.

“Hi Elaine,” he said, smiling wearily. “You look really nice.” He started to move past her through the door. “Have you heard about the palaver at work? It’s driving me crazy.”

“Hello Sam,” she replied, clearly edgy, her tension only slightly alleviated by The Lie. “Come in.”

Sam walked through to the lounge. Mike was just getting up from the sofa: very tall and narrow; thin black hair. He was dressed for the evening: jeans, shirt, cardigan, slippers. “How are you Sam? I heard about what happened. What the hell’s going on?”

Sam shrugged, grinning. “It’s all rubbish Mike, believe me. I don’t know what Masters is on about.” He pointed at the sofa. “Do you mind?”

“Course not.” Mike sat too; sofa and armchair at right angles around the television set. Mike took the armchair. “Could you bring in a couple of coffees sweetie?”

Elaine was lurking near the door. She moved sideways toward the kitchen, keeping her eyes on them. The room became quieter when she was gone. Mike leaned forward. “Come on then Sam,” he said. “Tell me about it. They say you’ve been screwing the system. Apparently Anna’s found evidence you’ve been doing it for years.”

Sam shrugged, keeping it light but serious. “I have no idea Mike, seriously. All I can think is that it’s some kind of mix-up. I don’t know, really.”

Mike squinted at him then he shook his head. “Come on Sam, tell me the truth. I know you. I know you’re hiding something.” Sam looked away, breathing in. He held the breath. He hadn’t anticipated this. “Sam, I know about your sister. It was on the news. They found her in that hotel. Is that something to do with this?”

Different angles were juggling in his head. He let all of them fall but one. “Look Mike,” he said, “I didn’t kill my sister if that’s what you’re thinking and I didn’t steal from the firm. I’m trying to find the person who took her from me. That’s why I came to see you. I need you to tell me what’s going on at work; what actions they’ve taken.”

“I can’t believe Lucy’s dead,” said Mike, “She was great. It’s horrible Sam. I feel terrible about it. Are you okay?”

“Yes; I’m fine. But I need you to tell me those things Mike. Come on.”

Mike shrugged and closed his eyes. “You know I won’t turn you in Sam; but they are looking for you. The police are in on it now. Masters won’t say how much has been taken. I don’t think he knows fully yet. Anna is heading the investigation. God Sam! It can’t be a mistake! They’re so sure!”

Sam shook his head. “It’s all a lie.”

Neither one of them spoke. Mike drew his cardigan across his chest. Elaine was still in the kitchen. “Look,” he said. “If they ask me I’ll say I didn’t see you; but what the hell are you still doing in London if it is true? If you’ve really taken that much money then why haven’t you gotten away from here? When you went away last week: why didn’t you go then?”

Sam interlaced the fingers of his hands, pressing his thumbs together. He stared at the little wrinkles around each joint. “I’m in serious trouble Mike. I need some help with a... personal investigation I’m involved in. I need an extra person to do the legwork so that I can resolve this quickly.”

Mike glanced at the doorway. Elaine had returned. She was watching them fearfully. “I’m sorry Sam. I can’t do that. It’s just that—“

“You don’t have to say anymore,” said Sam. He stood and walked toward the door.

“Sam wait! I’m sorry. You’ve got to understand that—“

“I do understand Mike.”

“Are you going to be okay?”

“I’m going to be fine,” said Sam. “I know who murdered my sister and I’m very close now to catching him. That’s all that matters.”

“But the police Sam. You have to get far away from here.”

“Not until I’ve found him,” said Sam. He walked out.

When he got into the corridor he sighed and leaned against the wall. It was meant to be a lot simpler than this. He should have been on a plane by now. Everything was going wrong. His enemies were closing in. The only good thing he had going for him now was that Jack clearly wasn’t wealthy. There was no chance that he could leave the country or anything like that.
There was nowhere Jack could go to escape.

No comments:

Post a Comment