Monday 24 March 2014

Chain of Vengeance: Chapter Seven - Part Five



LONDON


“Come on General,” said Anna, “it’s time for bed.” She pulled the covers up to her son’s chin, his arms tucked underneath it, and brushed his fringe to the side.
“I don’t wanna go to sleep.”
“Well you have to. Come on, that’s a good boy.” She lent close and kissed his forehead. “I’ll see you in the morning.”
“Can Daddy tuck me in too?”
“We’ll see.” She switched off the light and left him to doze off.
Greg was in the kitchen when she found him setting two cups of coffee on a tray next to a plate of biscuits. “Got some wake-up juice for you here to keep your energy up while you’re working,” he said. “Unless…” He touched the neck of a bottle of white wine on the worktop. “… you fancy a night of relaxation.”
Anna pecked his cheek. “How about half a bottle of wine and some tender love making then I work after you’ve gone to bed?”
“Sounds good to me.” Greg put the coffee aside and reached for a pair of glasses from the cupboard.
The two of them settled into the lounge. Anna turned the lights down and lit the flame-effect fire while Greg poured. Slumped on the sofa, knees tucked under her, leaning against him, she realised how edgy she’d been. With the first sip of wine the tension came up in a sigh that locked her muscles then relaxed them. This felt good; it was what she needed.
“You all right?” asked Greg.
“Yeah, I guess so; just tired. I’ve been going through Sam’s things from work, trying to get some ideas on what his movements might be; where he could have planned to go. I feel like I’m under a lot of pressure. For all I know he’s already left the country.”
Greg drank his wine silently.
“Are you okay?” asked Anna.
“I’m just thinking.”
“What about?”
Greg shifted, uncomfortable. Anna straightened up, taking the weight of her body off him so he could move freely. “Do you still have… feelings for him?”
“Sam?”
“Yes.”
Anna laughed, then when she saw Greg’s expression she laughed even harder, covering her mouth with the back of her fingers. “I’m sorry.” She tried to stop but she couldn’t. “No. Not at all.”
Greg was obviously off balance. “Are you sure?”
The laughter subsided to be replaced with something a lot darker. “Of course. I hate the man.”
“Okay.”
Greg drank some more of his wine but there was an atmosphere between them. He was holding back from speaking.
“What’s the matter darling?” asked Anna.
“You’ve never spoken much about him and I’ve never asked. I didn’t want to pry. It seemed like a part of your life you didn’t want to talk about. But…”
Anna put her hand on his knee. “What is it?”
“Nothing. Just that… You married him and… you don’t seem to want to marry me.”
Anna stared at him blankly; then she started to laugh again. She threw her head back and bellowed it out, then she doubled forward, reaching to steady herself on Greg’s arm. He just looked at her, puzzled and slightly put out.
“Course I haven’t said I’ll marry you, you idiot,” said Anna. “You have to ask me first!” She continued to laugh.
Greg’s puzzled expression became a tentative smile. “Oh; right. Sorry.”
“You can be so dumb.” Anna squeezed his cheeks in her hands. “But that’s why I love you. The reason I don’t talk about what happened between me and Sam isn’t because I still care about him. I hate that bastard!”
Greg poured a second glass of wine. “Why? What did he do?”
Anna stopped laughing, her expression turning serious. “You really want to know?”
Greg shrugged. “Yeah. I do. If this guy’s as nasty as you say he is, I don’t understand how he managed to hide it from everyone for so long. And why would you marry him in the first place?”
“All right,” said Anna, standing up and walking over to the fireplace with her newly filled wineglass. “I’ll tell you everything.”

No comments:

Post a Comment