Sunday 2 March 2014

Chain of Vengeance: Chapter Six - Part Two


LONDON

 

 

Sam didn’t know what gear he was in and he didn’t notice when his foot dropped off the accelerator. The car slowed gradually, the lane was straight, then it started shuddering violently as the engine struggled to keep turning over. Sam tensed, startled, slamming down the accelerator and the brake. The car stopped with a jolt. He stared through the windscreen at the mesh the branches made covering up all the space on either side and above the lane.

He had failed; completely. Jack Catholic had made it to the plane and was now on his way to America; somewhere so vast Sam would never find him.

He took his hands off the wheel and held them up in front of his face. He thought about Lucy – her beauty; the way she laughed when she laughed at him – then he put his hands back on the steering wheel and rested his head there in the centre too and felt fatigue deeper than he had ever felt before.

His mobile started ringing. Sam sat up sluggishly and reached into his jacket for it. “Yeah.”

“Will Harrison here.” The private detective.

“Tell me you have something.”

“I’ve got an address.”

“Too late. I’ve already been there. He’s gone.”

“Wow. Okay, great. Tell me again why you hired me?”

“What else did you find?”

Harrison cleared his throat. He had nothing more. Sam went to terminate the call but stopped before he had. He put the phone back to his ear.

“Harrison, I want you to do something for me. Jack Catholic has inherited a large sum of money from someone in America. It strikes me that they probably found a lawyer to take care of the English side of business. See if you can find the one who did it.”

“Okay,” said Harrison. “Are you alright?”

“I’m fine.”

“What are you going to do?”

Sam paused, then he said “I have somewhere I need to visit.”

He cut the connection, slipped the phone back into his pocket and started up the engine.

No comments:

Post a Comment