Thursday 17 April 2014

Chain of Vengeance: Chapter Seven - Part Sixteen


Molly leant against a tree; the bark pressing through her jacket into her back. Jack’s voice came through the foliage. She peered round the trunk. It was a little misty now. The treetops weren’t visible; it made them look topless, like pillars. She called back out to him. “Jack!”

“Molly!” He was getting closer.

“Jack!”

His silhouette formed in the mist, filling her with relief. He jogged up and took her arms in his hands. “Are you okay?”

She nodded. “What about you? What happened?”

She couldn’t make out his face at all. “They ran away. They’re gone. Let’s get out of here.”

“We shouldn’t have come here at night.”

He nodded. They started making their way back to the path. It was difficult to see where it was now in the mist but it came through eventually, a silvery track gleaming in the murk.

“I can’t believe that happened to us,” said Molly. He didn’t reply. “Jack?”

“Sorry. What?”

“I’ve never been mugged before.”

“No.”

“Are you okay?... Jack? What’s wrong?”

 “Nothing. I’m fine.”

They reached the very edge of the park. The row of shops was dotted with restaurants. The windows were all lit up with warm colours. They looked beautiful, especially in the mist. In the centre, next door to one of the restaurants, was an alley, pitch black against the lights. It cut the row of shops in two. Molly gazed at the windows for a while, just thinking about nothing, then she touched Jack’s shoulder. “I’d better be heading home. I’ll drop you off.”

He shook his head. “Thanks, but I think I might just head in there and get a coffee or something.” He pointed to the restaurant next to the alley. “I need to think about some stuff.”

“Okay.” She smiled. “It’s been really nice Jack. I’m sorry now for everything I thought about you before.”

“Don’t be. I’m not as nice as all that.”

“Sure you are. You just saved me didn’t you?”

He extended his hand. “Bye.”

“I’ll seeya.” She took it and stepped up close to his chest, then on impulse she extended her neck to bring her lips toward his mouth. Jack kissed her cheek briefly and pulled away, seemingly oblivious to the movement, not noticing her intent. Then he winked at her and crossed the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment