Thursday 3 April 2014

Chain of Vengeance: Chapter Seven - Part Nine


 “Jack!”

He stopped, hand on the front doorknob. Molly approached from behind and came close. She touched his upper arm and turned him round. “I’m sorry about that.”

Jack shrugged. “It doesn’t matter.”

“And I’m sorry I was rude earlier; at the house sale.”

 “I’m sorry I didn’t bring a diamond tiara,” said Jack.

Molly giggled and he smiled too, the tension dissolving.

“How about I take you for a drive or something?”

“A drive?”

“Sure. I’m not hungry anyway. Are you?”

His stomach did feel empty but he didn’t mind a little fib. “No. Not at all. That sounds great.”

“Ace. Wait here while I get by boots and keys.”

She disappeared up the impressive staircase. Jack watched her go, feeling bad again for thinking her legs were sexy in that dress.

Someone cleared their throat nearby. It was Ruben, standing in the doorway. He was leering now, no attempt made to disguise his hostility. “She’s got a pretty little package, ain’t she?” Jack looked away. “Don’t feel bad. Cousin to cousin’s perfectly legal.” Ruben’s footsteps came closer. “You know you’ve made my mother cry, coming here like this.”

“I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to cause trouble.”

“No; I’m sure. Course not. Not a friendly fellow like you.”

Jack turned to face him. “Look I’m sorry about the money. I guess your father had his reasons for not writing you into his will but the decision was nothing to do with me.”

There was an old scar above Ruben’s right eye. He scratched at it and said, “I’m sure. But you’re still going to keep the money; aren’t you? And now you’re taking my sister out. All very nice.” Ruben looked to the right and then back at Jack and said, “Just be careful what you believe. Half of what she tells you will be a lie.”

 

No comments:

Post a Comment